Installation and configuration
This page describes installing and configuration packages supported by project's team. It doesn't contain information about manual building the source code. For this use additional instruction : https://bitbucket.org/dismine/valentina
Ubuntu PPA 32-bit and 64-bit
Win XP, 7, and later, 32-bit and 64-bit
This section details how to install Valentina for Windows users. The procedure is basically about the same for all Windows users.
- Upload Windows self-extracting archive from https://valentinaproject.bitbucket.io/. Select an archive depending on your OS version. Windows XP users must select Windows XP+, users of Windows 7 can select either Windows XP+ or Windows 7+ (recommended). There are two branches: current release and test build. If you need more stabily select a current release, if you need more new features you need to select a test build.
- Run the archive and choose the installation folder in your browser.
- Right-click on the languages wanted for user interface, several languages can be chosen and used on simple demand afterwards.
- Validate the installation of all types of files association (.val, .vit, .vst).
- Click finish and open Valentina.
Note about 64-bit version. Currently we do not provide 64-bit version for Windows platform.
Mac OS X 10.9 +, 64-bit
Installing from Source RPM
Using a Source RPM (SRPM) is a great way to to either install Valentina on newer versions of Fedora, or to package newer releases of Valentina in an easy to use RPM. The process is quite simple but you may need to install many dependencies the first time around.
- You will need to install rpmbuild to start:
$ sudo dnf install rpmbuild
- Download the source RPM
- Navigate to Valentina RPM page
- Click on the Title text, "Grab binary packages directly"
- Under the title, "Packages for Fedora Rawhide:", download "valentina-<something>.src.rpm"
- Install the SRPM - you do not want to use sudo
$ rpm -ivh valentina-<something>.src.rpm
This will, by default, install the SRPM into a directory called $HOME/rpmbuild/.
$ tree $HOME/rpmbuild/ . ├── BUILD ├── BUILDROOT ├── RPMS ├── SOURCES └── valentina-0.6.1.tar.xz ├── SPECS └── valentina.spec
- Install the dependencies required to build valentina:
$ sudo dnf install qt5-qtxmlpatterns-devel qt5-qtsvg-devel qt5-qttools-devel qt5-qtbase-devel
- Build the package:
cd $HOME/rpmbuild $rpmbuild -ba SPECS/valentina.spec
- If you have never used rpmbuild before, it is here you will most likely experience errors. Don't give up!
- Read each error message carefully, the software will complain that it is missing a component required to do the build.
- Each time you find a missing dependency, install it with dnf (you may need to do this more than once!):
$ sudo dnf install <package_name>
- When everything has been built successfully, install valentina:
$ sudo dnf install RPMS/x86_64/valentina-<version>.rpm
You should now see valentina installed on your machine!
Link to old versions (not maintained)
Configure personal settings before first use : File → Preferences
- Configuration tab
GUI language will be provided to the user when using the soft (interface, text appearing under the icons); choose GUI language amongst the languages which have been previously installed.
Label language used to name points can be specified different from GUI language.
The default unit is centimeters, but can be changed for millimeters or inches.
By default, measurements, patterns, layouts and templates, are stored in local folder C://Users/UserName/valentina.
Each path can be edited and modified.